Merseyside Youth Association has its roots in the boys and girls club movements of the late 19th Century. Established in 1890, the Liverpool Boys Association (LBA), was set up to support the development of young men in Liverpool.  The Liverpool Union of Girls Clubs was also set up for the “training and care of girls”, but this organisation became mixed in 1943 and by 1961 was known as the Liverpool Union of Youth Clubs. In 1969, the LBA and LUYC merged to become Merseyside Youth Association.